Sunday, September 26, 2010

power bill


So, remember when the West family used to use electricity at their house? Yeah, those were good times. That was before I opened the $1,400 power bill yesterday. Needless to say, there some immediate changes were instituted.

First, this is our new clothes dryer.


It uses way less electricity than our old one did.


Change #2: This is what I look like now.

I know what you're thinking.
First, that looks a lot like Weird Al. I don't really see the resemblance, but whatever.
Second, how does growing a huge beard save power? Static electricity. Duh- think about it. Third, why would you dress in heavy black clothes? Wouldn't that make it hotter? Yes, actually you're right. It's ridiculous, but I look super cool.

But the point is, we're getting back to our roots. Going green. We're going to be using candles for lights and paper fans for breezes from now on. Refrigeration is for morons and electricity is for losers I say. I lost at least 3 years of my life when I opened that bill. I can't afford to do that every month.

Kasie asked yesterday, "Is this how we're going to live the rest of our life?" (Read that in the expasperated tone of a woman who has recently crossed the plains in a covered wagon and just looked over the top of a recent rise, only to see hundreds more miles of wilderness ahead of her. That should give you an idea of the precise tone. The thermostat was set to 84, which was why all the moaning.) "Of course not," I said. "Once the winter comes, it won't be this hot."

So if you were looking to buy Kasie a sympathy gift. Might I suggest this title?

6 comments:

  1. 1400$$$$$$$$$$$$ How is that even possible??? My parents live in the hotest place on the planet and the highest I've ever seen their bill is $600. I think I just lost a few years of my life out of sympathy for you. For that kind of money I will come and fan you all with palm fronds all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap! Ours was $220 last month & I about lost it!!! That totally blows! I would be making some serious changes too. Might I suggest the book "The Green Book" (New York Times Bestseller, FYI). Just finished it & now I'm all Nazi about turning off lights, unplugging everything, showering for 1.5 minutes & really want a composter & am seriously considering riding my bike 20 miles to work (just kidding on that last one, that will NEVER happen). But it's a good book. Sorry for your pain & that you lost 3 years of life. Now you will only live to be 103 instead of 106. Very unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never know when you are being serious....maybe because most of the time you are not:-) But, are you really serious about having a $1400 power bill? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, the bill was for 2 months, I finally figured out, but that won't bring back the lost years of my life upon seeing the initial figure. $1400! I'm no mathematician, but that's like 1400 hamburgers or something! I'm not sure why it came that way since we always get a monthly bill. Somehow I don't feel much better. I'll only be happy once the PG&E meter starts to spin backwards. Hello solar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, people, it was for 2 months! And it was for the hottest 2 months of the summer so technically it will be the highest bill we ever see. Our other bills weren't even close to that. So please tell Jared to let us turn on the AC. I can't wait for solar panels because then our house will be like the North Pole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Well I guess this is a sign that you should move to the North Pole, I mean Utah. Our bills are just under that in the winter.....o.k. a lot under that, wow what a bill!

    ReplyDelete